A Municipal Council is a group formed by members of an organization who meet periodically to make decisions about a specific area or area of the organization.
The Municipal Councils hold meetings, some are private and others are open. If they are open, you can participate in them (for example: attending if the capacity allows it, adding points to the agenda, or commenting on the proposals and decisions made by said body).
Given the principle of territorial and human cohesion that is desirable and sought by the municipality of Sitges.
Given the considerable extent of the municipality of Sitges and the differential fact that its territory is inhabited by a territorially separated population center such as the town of Garraf, has led to an action in the past of manifest inequality in public services, for which the inhabitants of this smaller population group of Garraf have often had to suffer as a community of inferior quality services (or directly the lack of these).
The situation of inequality is also due to demographics and different economic activity.
Therefore, as in this issue, we understand that more account must be taken of approaches to territorial extension than those of a demographic nature, and in order to monitor the needs for action more effectively than from the Administration. Local or from other areas to guarantee the existence of the necessary infrastructures throughout the municipal term of Sitges, the City council can establish by regulation the collaboration with the citizens, and to this effect: the Councils of Participation are a answer of demands to the public authorities to encourage associationism and thus generate rules of knowledge, cooperation and reflection that help the lines of municipal work programs.
The Municipal Council for Citizen Participation is a body made up of the representation in associations of the majority of residents. It is the forum where the entities and people representing the people should be able to gather.
The aim of this Council, which becomes a true body of participatory democracy, is that the same components, which will be neighbors can be proposed directly, through its president, the mayor of Sitges, or its vice-president. , a councilor of the municipal government team, or the representative or delegate of the mayor, the actions that they believe are priorities for their area. In this sense, we will work exclusively for the interests of Garraf.
Therefore, the Council will have the full support of the Mayor of Sitges and all the councilors who form the government, with the commitment to work together to reach a successful path on this path that we have just begun.
Purpose of action
The objectives of any council, and also of this one, are:
a) Informative participation.
b) Participation in the study and debate of various issues in the town of Garraf.
c) The participation in the management and municipal control in the town of Garraf.
The Municipal Council of Territorial Action will have as main and concrete actions, being the enunciative and non-limiting relation, among others, the following:
- Make proposals that facilitate the process of achieving a fairer model of coexistence.
- Report on the state of the different infrastructures (water network, electricity, telecommunications, etc .... all of which affect the physical space).
- Promote the registration in the municipality of the inhabitants of the town of Garraf who are not.
- Promote open and rigorous debate, leading to consensual positions.
- Present proposals or suggestions to the City Council regarding issues of citizen services.
- Collaborate and give opinions on urban issues that affect the town of Garraf.
- To act when necessary of a commission of follow-up of the municipal actions that are carried out that affect the community of the Town of Garraf.
- Monitoring of public goods, effects on municipal heritage, including forestry and areas of special environmental protection.
- Street lighting and daily cleaning.
- Surveillance in the execution of works and possible assistance in the provision of services by the municipal competition of interest to the community of the town of Garraf.
- Collaborate in the management of the car park and vehicle traffic in its area.
- Assist in the conservation and maintenance of squares, streets and gardens in their area.
- Participate in the elaboration of the budget of municipal expenses destined to the town of Garraf
- Those that the City Council wants to delegate and that in its function allow a decentralized exercise.
- Any other attribution that may be agreed upon at the time by the competent body, subject to the approval of the Plenary Session of the City Council or the Governing Committee.
3. Likewise, The purpose of the Municipal Council of Garraf is to channel the participation of citizens in the management of the place where they live, ensuring the quality of life of its inhabitants within the municipality of Sitges, acting as a channel for to the best citizen representation.
The Municipal Council of Garraf will move in the field of advice and collaboration with the municipal corporation in all matters that it consults, through the preparation of written reports that will be submitted to the government team when they agree to request it, and any other type of personal or collective contribution that is within the reach of the Territorial Municipal Council.
The Municipal Council of Garraf reports directly to the Mayor’s Office, and the Mayor will be its President. The Presidency may be delegated to another Councilor of the Consistory.
Secretary of the council
The Secretary of the Council will be the Secretary General of the City Council, Vice-Secretary, or a person delegated by him.
The Secretary shall draw up minutes of each meeting held.
Functioning of the Council
1. The convening of the sessions of the council shall be governed by the following:
a) The deadlines will always be counted in working days. For this purpose, state holidays, regional holidays, local holidays in Sitges, as well as local holidays in Garraf, if any, will not be available. They will also not be considered skilled on Saturdays.
b) Twenty days in advance, the Chairman shall notify the members of the Board of the date of the corresponding meeting, with the list of matters to be dealt with.
c) The members of the Board shall have ten working days to propose and submit to the Presidency other matters to be dealt with, as well as other matters they deem appropriate.
d) The agenda will be drawn up, delivered, by the President, who will convene the meeting five days in advance.
2. The Council shall be advised by an Advisory Committee, made up of a representative of each and every one of the political parties represented in the Plenary Session of the City Council.
This Committee shall inform each and every one of the proposals to be submitted to the Council for approval.
3. The local members may articulate their work coordinated by the delegate or representative of the mayor in the town of Garraf.
To this end, the neighborhood members may form up to five sectoral commissions, which, headed by spokespersons chosen from among the members of each of them, will be the following:
a. Territory and Environment (Urbanism, Environment, Public Roads and Beaches, Projects and Public Works).
b. Economic promotion (Tourism, Trade and Consumption).
c. Education and culture.
d. Area of services to people (Sports, Youth, Cooperation Solidarity and Europe, Services To People, Health).
e. Citizen security and prevention.
The Spokesman of each Sectorial Commission may invite technicians, councilors responsible for the issues to be addressed, or any other person he deems appropriate to report on one or more issues included in his agenda.
4. The opinions, works, proposals or studies elaborated by the Council that make direct reference to points on which it has to pronounce the Governing Bodies of the City council, will be included in the corresponding file. In the event of a division of opinion, these will be reflected in the minutes, and the Presidency will explain, when necessary, the different positions, and will express the support that each of them has obtained.
5. The Chairman of the Board, due to the proper functioning of its sessions, may invite Councilors, technicians, or any other person he deems appropriate to report on one or more issues included in the agenda.
a) The sessions of the Board will be ordinary and extraordinary. A calendar of ordinary sessions will be drawn up at the first meeting of the Board, with a biannual periodicity.
b) Once the ordinary meeting has been concluded, and before its closing, following an agreement adopted by an absolute majority of the members of the Board, for each of them, new points may be included, as a matter of urgency, in the agenda.
a) Extraordinary sessions of the Council shall be convened by the Presidency, on its own initiative, or at the request of one third of the members of the Council.
b) The agenda of the extraordinary sessions will be that indicated in the call.
c) Extraordinary sessions of an urgent nature will be convened at least 2 working days in advance.
d) Extraordinary sessions may not include new items on the agenda.
Regime of sessions
All sessions shall be chaired by the President assisted by the Secretary, to whom he delegates.
The Municipal Council will be composed by:
President: The Mayor or Councilor to whom he delegates.
Vice-president: The Territorial Councilor
Secretary: The TAG attached to the Board.
Four Councilors of the Municipal Government, appointed by the City Council
Two councilors from the opposition, appointed by the City Council.
A representative of the following associations and entities:
A representative of the People’s Neighbors Association.
A representative of the Beach Neighbors Association.
A representative of the Casetas de Garraf.
A representative of the social, cultural, political and environmental associations with a territorial presence in Garraf.
A representative of the Garraf Sports Club (Tennis).
A representative of the Garraf Nautical Club.
A representative of the other sports entities with a territorial presence in Garraf.
A representative of COMSA
A representative of Garraf Park.
A PROMSA representative
A representative of ASLAND
A representative of other economic activities with a territorial presence in Garraf.
- Two representatives of the citizens who, due to their curriculum vitae or personal profile, prove a special interest in Garraf.
And those others that, with the same objectives as the Municipal Council, are created over time.